June 05, 2012

May the odds be ever in your favour: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ♥


I just had to share with you what I'm reading at the moment. I just couldn't put the first book down, The Hunger Games and I'm now on to the next one, Catching Fire.
The three-part series is by Suzanne Collins and so far, the first book has been made into a film which came out in March/ April I think.
I really loved the film too but found there was far more detail in the book which makes it better in my opinion.
I picked these up for £7.99 for the set from The Works.



Katniss Everdeen is a survivor. She has to be; she's representing her District, number 12, in the 74th Hunger Games in the Capitol, the heart of Panem, a new land that rose from the ruins of a post-apocalyptic North America. To punish citizens for an early rebellion, the rulers require each district to provide one girl and one boy, 24 in all, to fight like gladiators in a futuristic arena. The event is broadcast like reality TV, and the winner returns with wealth for his or her district. With clear inspiration from Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" and the Greek tale of Theseus, Collins has created a brilliantly imagined dystopia, where the Capitol is rich and the rest of the country is kept in abject poverty, where the poor battle to the death for the amusement of the rich. Impressive world-building, breathtaking action and clear philosophical concerns make this volume, the beginning of a planned trilogy, as good as The Giver and more exciting. However, poor copyediting in the first printing will distract careful readers - a crying shame. (Science fiction. 11 & up) (Kirkus Reviews) --New
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. But Katniss has been clse to death before-and survival, for her, is second nature. The Hunger Games is a searing novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. Welcome to the deadliest reality TV show ever...
About the Author
Suzanne Collins is author of the international bestselling HUNGER GAMES trilogy, which has become one of the most talked-about and successful publishing phenomena of recent years. Suzanne lives in Connecticut, USA. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.



The set came with this cover wrap around which is pretty pointless once you've opened the pack but I thought I'd show you how it came.

Also, £7.99 for the three is near enough, the cheapest I've found the set for. These books can retail for £7.99 each, so a pretty good saving.

I'll also warn you that you won't be able to put them down because they're such good books. I've heard some people say they're aimed at teenagers but I think there's place for everyone with them.


Have you read them?

Thanks for reading,

Amy

xoxoxox

6 comments:

  1. £7.99 for the three is great! I got them from the library for free though :) I love them and now spend ages making Peeta bread based jokes with my friends. We have all read them and I keep on telling everyone to read them. Best thing I've read in ages x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the library is even better! Haha wish I could do that but no-one would know what I was on about.
      I read the first one really quick for me and can't put the second down once I get going.
      I'd listened to the books on audio last year as my partner at the time, used to prefer to listen to them in the car and stuff but hadn't actually sat down myself so totally chuffed with them and can't wait for the second film.

      Ax

      Delete
  2. Wow you got a great bargain on these books, I love them I think I read all three in around three/four days, I literally couldn't put them down once I started. I've now got my boyfriend into them, as I kept going on about them lol.

    Charlee
    http://charmedcharlee.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how they can rip people off some much with books, some are so expensive.
      That's really good, I'm not the fastest reader these days so don't think I could manage that. Yeah I do think there's a place for everyone with them.
      Can't wait for the second film.

      Ax

      Delete
  3. I really want to read this trilogy (saw a post on BBS saying you could get the 3 for £4.99 on book people - I just may be tempted!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really?! You should get them :D They're not a challenging read but very enjoyable and that's something you want now and again isn't it?

      Ax

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...